Ten Mile Lake Association
Ten Mile Lake Association
Email Update for June 2019
TEN MILE LAKE ASSOCIATION
2019 ANNUAL MEETING
SATURDAY AUGUST 3, 2019
COFFEE AND SOCIAL TIME 9:30 AM, MEETING 10-11:30 AM
UNION CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH IN HACKENSACK
MAP AVAILABLE - CLICK ON THE EVENT ON THE CALENDAR IN THE ANCHOR
KEY COMMITTEES WILL UPDATE US ON THE HEALTH AND STATUS OF OUR LAKE
It's HOT!! Summer is here, finally! The loons are singing, the humidity is high and the kids are in the lake. Take care not to disturb the loons - or the children - when boating this summer. Are you getting ready for the Boat Parades on the 4th? See you then!
June Board Meeting
Minutes from board meetings are now available in the Anchor. They are posted after they are approved at the next meeting, so following this meeting the May minutes became available to members. The June minutes will be posted following the July meeting. But if you don't want to wait, here is a brief recap of the June meeting:
- Finance Committee: The budget for 2019-20 forecasts a surplus of $4,520.00
- Membership reports 569 members currently, representing 1265 people.
- Conservation Committee: The legacy grant to Northern Waters Land Trust has been approved for the Kruse property but is subject to an appraisal to be completed by July 1. This is environmentally sensitive shoreline we are hoping to protect.
- AIS Committee: Inspectors are working at the public access on weekends. Bob Iversen was one of several presenters at joint ACCL, MN Lakes and Rivers Assn. and MNCOLA meeting June 17 and 18. Cass County now has 26 inspectors and is hoping to add 4 more.
- E and E Committee: Secchi disk readings have been better than usual for this time of year; 17.5’-22’. Very healthy oxygen at 10 p.m. at 200’. Well water testing is July 13th. ($25.00) at Woock’s store and Christensen garage from 10 AM to 3 PM. When you pay your $25 you will be given a sample bottle to fill and return before 3 PM. Marty McCleery talked about the Small Watershed Grant he and Bruce Carlson have applied for from Cass County. Possible grant amount up to $200,000.
- Communication and Tech Committee: Members can now post lost, found and for sale items on The Anchor. Either ask Annie (email@example.com) to do it or try it yourself! All items added will automatically transfer to Annie for approval before publishing, no worries. Protocols for the Facebook page are being finalized. In the Facebook search box, type in Ten Mile Lake Association Group, the page will show with a loon picture. A link will be on the website soon!
- Finance Committee: The association insurance policies are being reviewed. TMLA has 3 different calendars: calendar year, fiscal year (May 1 - April 30) and dues year (Sept 1 - August 31). Finance committee recommends all calendars convert to the calendar year, January 1-December 31. More discussion and action, if needed, at July meeting.
- Fisheries Committee: Steve Helscher requests that people send him fishing reports including water depth, bait and presentation. Practicing selective harvest will help keep the pan fish population healthy on the lake.
- Healthy Lakes: The Leech Lake River Comprehensive Watershed Management Plan drafted by Cass County is being reviewed by the MN Board of Water and Soil Resources. The TMLA Long Range (2016-2066) and Three Year (2019-2021) Plans are available on the website, in the Library and through links on the Committees page.
- Lake Safety Committee: All buoys should be repaired and in the lake soon. Updating the lake safety poster was discussed.
- Loon Committee: 6 nesting pairs on the lake. Hatches might be late because of high water and cool temps. 1 chick so far.
- Water Level Committee: The level is lower than a year ago. Little shoreline damage from ice-out this year.
- Sandbag Removal: John Crabb has been monitoring levels of Ten Mile and Birch Lakes. He has removed the sandbags from the Boy River, which is in excellent condition for paddling! (See article in the Anchor).
- Old Business: Mike Tauber updated the board on RDO activities including conversion of jack pine forests into potato growing territory.
- New Business: Planning Annual Meeting. Preparation and set-up at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, August 2 for the Saturday meeting at UCC in Hackensack. No keynote this year - we will have expanded updates from our most active committees. More planning at the July board meeting.
The new TMLA website is up and running. Please check it out and send us some feedback!
If you have questions about any of our committee work or want to become involved or simply have a question or comment, email us at:
The Summer Newsletter is available on the website and has been emailed to all members with email addresses. A hard-copy has also been snail-mailed to those requesting paper copies, so everyone should be able to enjoy the Summer News!
We had some technical difficulties with the emailed version, so if you didn't receive it, let Annie know. The problem is resolved and she will send you another copy..
Enjoy your summer on Ten Mile!
Copyright © 2018 Ten Mile Lake Association, All rights reserved.
This email was sent on behalf of Ten Mile Lake Association located at PO Box 412, Hackensack, MN 56452. To unsubscribe click here. If you have questions or comments concerning this email contact Ten Mile Lake Association at firstname.lastname@example.org.